Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My Answer To The Following Question That I Was Asked: How Can I Get An Associate Scouting Position?

My answer to a 10 year coach today seeking to get into professional baseball scouting that already had contacted each MLB organization, but didn't receive a reply from any scouting director or scout:

Next step would be to contact territorial scouts in your area and let them know of your interest in becoming an associate scout. Naturally, you don't want to bother them while they're watching prospects...maybe after the game if they're not rushed.<bg>Get a Baseball Bluebook to get the scouts' email addresses. I've helped a non division 1 coach get an associate scouting position through my recommendation this year already or I'd offer to help you. (I don't like to push/recommend more than 1 a year).
It would also help the organizations and scouts to know that you wouldn't card or do reports on position players or pitchers below a 50 OFP...unless they asked you to because they're on a follow list, but I don't know why they'd ask you to. Your job is to help your organization win a championship by finding 50-80 OFPers.<g>

No comments:

Post a Comment