Monday, March 14, 2011

Once Was A Pitcher

Back in the day, I fancied myself as a pitcher. It didn't seem to take too many years for me to go from having a plus fastball to minus, minus. Poor rotator cuff workouts and an anterior capsule shift were the main reason for the deterioration of my "live" arm. Mechanics can't be blamed either because I was considered to have  "pretty good" mechanics. The only other fault I had was maybe I was too methodical...too mechanical and probably predictable. This prompted Lenn Sakata to give me the nickname Delbot...as in Delbot, the robot. The dreaded ROBOT tag... this was, and still is, an unwelcome nickname for any pitcher, even if it's true. Sadly, this thorny nickname caught on, but at least was shortened to where they just called me Bot. However, to be honest, before this term of endearment took hold, my defense mechanism promptly kicked in and I dubbed Lenny with the "Bugs" nickname. Although, if you look at Lenn's antics and stunts through his career, you could give a good argument for giving him the nickname of "El Crazo". One thing he did well was play baseball, and if you don't know baseball players, everybody gets a nickname.

In the next post, I'll throw out some pitching coach jive that'll resonate with the pitchers and maybe give position players and baseball fans a chuckle.

No comments:

Post a Comment