Monday, July 4, 2011

Derek Jeter Starting A.L. All Star Game Shortstop?

Generally, I'm pretty pleased with this year's all star teams' selections. Jeter is another story. He's definitely lost bat speed which he's trying to make up for by starting his swing early. Hence, he's getting fooled more often, getting way out front on breaking pitches, etc. I noticed this early in the season when I was watching him curiously and closely because of the off season hoopla of DJ changing his swing with Kevin Long's help...which he's already abandoned.
I'm not sure how much he worked with Dana Cavalea, the Yankees' strength and conditioning guy, in the off season this last winter, but he really worked his butt off the winter before last...working on increasing rotational power, range, lateral movement, etc. In hindsight, he may should have spent more time w/Dana instead of Kevin this offseason. 
Like I said earlier, he has lost some of his bat speed to the point where I'm thinking he should change his approach to hitting completely. I actually think he should adopt the Roy White slap hitter/Punch and Judy style. He could choke up to help his bat control and wait on pitches longer. That'll enable him to be able to make more consistent contact. Yeah, he'll lose power, but at least he'll make contact and move runners.
The caveat is that from what I've heard- Derek doesn't like change much. A good example would be from what I've learned through the grapevine, it took him forever to even want to talk to Chad Bohling, the Yankees Sports Psych guy. Even as amazing is that DJ let Kevin Long try to help him with his swing this last off season. Sadly, even with Kevin's help, Derek can't recoup his lost bat speed. He's well on the decline and possibly too set in his ways to make changes in his swing now.
That being said, he's had a wonderful career and still a future 1st ballot Hall of Famer. He's is definitely going to be a hard act to follow. Why am I harping on Derek? It's probably more of a selfish reason that I want Derek to adopt a more productive Roy White hitting style late in his career...and that's because I really don't want to see him retire. I'd prefer that he could extend his career instead!
Even though I just can't let go of DJ, I also can't justify him being the starting shortstop for the American League...not this season. I know-nobody promised life OR baseball would be fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment