Saturday, September 11, 2010

Can Chris Davis of the TX Rangers be the next Adam Dunn?

For some time I've been touting this firstbaseman's potential, and yes, he has Adam Dunn potential. I've also been lamenting over his hitting mechanic flaws and possibly a lack of a mental prep routine for the length of his professional career. I've discussed the lack of growth with more than a few hitting instructors. Some are in agreement with me and some are not, but I know that unless he gets help in the minor leagues or from somewhere else by a competent hitting coach that can teach him the slot position for his swing, he may never develop to his potential. You'd think that there would be dozens of bonified hitting instructors working in pro ball capable of doing this. Sadly, it's been my experience that top notch pitching instructors outnumber their hitting instructor counterparts twenty to one. In the last twent-five years, I can only think of three pro hitting instructors worth their salt because they knew all the aspects of hitting and worked hard to improve hitters. Rule of thumb seems to be for the hitting instructors not make waves so they can keep their jobs...kinda sounds like politicians in that regard. Baffling, but that's just the way it is in pro ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment